Thursday, November 28, 2019

Advent 2020

Thanksgiving dinner is done - some stores are already opened for "Black Friday" and more will be opening soon. I don't buy into the Black Friday hoopla; however, I am getting very excited! Advent begins in just a few short days! Are you ready? I am frantically trying to decide which Advent resource we will use this year and what I am going to do to make it an even better Advent than the last.

Advent is not about how many Christmas cards I can get written and in the mail in the morning, although I do enjoying getting them sent out early (for many reasons). Advent is not about how many Christmas parties we have to attend. Neither it is about how many gifts need to be purchased and wrapped or what I am getting for my husband for Christmas (not even about what he is getting me!).

Advent is a time for preparation and anticipation. It is a time to ask God for forgiveness, forgive those who have wronged you, give of our time, talent, and treasures - especially for those who are less fortunate, and to celebrate the birth of our Lord and savior, Jesus Christ.

Also Advent appears to be a time when new deacons are ordained - at least in the Yakima Diocese. Next Saturday several men will be ordained as permanent deacons - including one from our parish. Mike, we are so happy that you have answered God's call to service. We will be praying for you and Carol this week as you prepare for this huge step. God bless you both.

So please join me in praying for the new deacons and preparing for an amazing Advent season. It is a busy time for all - especially the priests, deacons, and others in the parish who plan the amazing "special effects" for Advent. From the decorations, flowers, candles, and beautiful music to those who are lectors, acolytes, and alter servers - everyone is busy with the preparations and the extra Masses, etc. Remember to take time to thank God for all of your blessings and to pray for peace, kindness, and mostly for love. Our world needs all the love (and prayers) it can get.

Happy Advent all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please pray for me as I will pray for you. God bless.

Walking in the Footsteps of Jesus - February 9, 2023

 February 9, 2023 Wow..this has been a long time coming. I can't believe it has taken me this long to complete our travel adventure to I...