Monday, December 2, 2019

Advent Day 2

The second chapter of Luke tells us the very familiar story of Mary and Joseph traveling to Bethlehem. Mary gave birth to Jesus in a manger because there was no room at the inn and he wore swaddling clothes. The shepherds are visited by the angels and told of the birth. They went to Bethlehem. 

Jesus was named and then presented at the temple. Simeon, inspired by the holy spirit, recognizes the Christ child, blesses God and then blesses Jesus's parents.

Jesus grew up in Nazareth.  After the Passover feast at Jerusalem the year Jesus was 12 years old, he stayed behind when his parents returned home. The first night they realized he was not with the group and returned to Jerusalem. After searching for him, they found him in the temple. Jesus said to them .."did you not know that I must be in my Father's house?"

Upon their return to Nazareth, Jesus was obedient to his parents. And Mary "kept all these things in her heart" - most earthly mothers would understand this. Jesus grew up and gained wisdom. 

This chapter covers the period of Jesus's life from birth to adulthood. Not much else is known except those events described here. Nearly everyone I know wants to know about those formative years that are not chronicled for us. However, I like to think that those events not told at the ones Mary and Joseph kept in their hearts - special, private, and not for public consumption. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please pray for me as I will pray for you. God bless.

Walking in the Footsteps of Jesus - February 9, 2023

 February 9, 2023 Wow..this has been a long time coming. I can't believe it has taken me this long to complete our travel adventure to I...